Monday, September 8, 2008

Joy Moment - 3rd Day of School

Life has been a little hectic around here. We are all doing great. I have had two job interviews this past week. One with the In-Patient Pharmacy at St. Lukes Hospital and one at an independent pharmacy. I think they went well, but the competition is kind of stiff. Hopefully one of them will like me enough to hire me. Tracy has started his teaching program and is making progress with that. Aleana and Trent started school a few weeks ago, and Hannah just keeps smiling.


So awhile back, I blogged about having "joy moments" and how I would write about one each month. I am such a slacker! Well, not really a slacker, I have thought about a million different things to write about. It's just the actual sitting down and clunking it out thing that I struggle with. Anyway here's a moment. En-JOY.
----------------------------------------------------

Joy Moment

The 3rd Day of School


Two of my babies are in school. Deep breath. I have spent the last eight years of my life being a mom. Sniff Sniff. One who has tried to instill values of love and kindness (not too sure how successful it has been, some days I wonder...), to help them build character, to make good choices, to be respectful. My whole heart's purpose is and has always been to love them, teach them and keep them safe. Then all of the sudden, out of no where, with a loud roar, this big yellow school bus comes and takes them away from me. Away from my safe haven, away from the all-healing mama bear hug, away from me. That darn yellow bus!

I must admit, in the back of my mind, in those deep corners, you know, the places where we all have thoughts of "one day...when the kids are in school...maybe, just maybe I can get to that..." All the projects I started, back in the day when I thought I was a superstar and could manage kids and hobbies. The projects like scrapbooking, sewing, and reading. Ahhh yes, reading a good book. Not the Twilight series sissy stuff, but the good thought provoking books where you need peace and quiet, and a good corner of the couch that sits in the warmth of sunlight to read. Well, I am here to say, to announce, that those mom-guilty thoughts are no longer in the mom-closet. They are out and chomping at the bit, ready for me to enjoy. With Aleana and Trent in school, and Hannah still taking 2-3 naps a day, I have a few hours of...could it really be? Yes. Freedom. And it's all to myself. So much to do...where to start...

The first day of school, things went on without a single glitch. Aleana and Trent were so excited! My big third grader and he-just-thinks-he's-big-little kindergartner were up at what seemed to be first light. They were ready in five minutes, although mom had to do some touch-ups in the hair department. (Note to self: On the first day of school - there is no need to wake up the kids any earlier than normal. In fact, let 'em sleep in just a tad bit longer. The excitement kicks in upon waking, and after you blink your eyes twice, they will be dressed with backpacks on, ready to go. Lesson learned: Let the kids sleep in and mom can sleep in too.) :) The big yellow bus came and took Aleana away, for she's a pro and knows all the ropes. Mom and Dad are no longer needed. When the time came,we took Trent and walked him to his classroom. He wasn't the least bit nervous. He sat down and waited for us to leave. I walked out of the door feeling a little anxious for Trent, worried, and hoping I wouldn't get a call from his teacher on the first day of school. No tears from him, no tears from me.


The second day of school, went just as expected: slow and painful. They were dragging their feet. There was no more excitement left in their little bones...just "5 more minutes" and "but moooooommmm" whines remained. In fact, when I went to wake up Trent, and told him it was time to get ready to go to school, he just pulled the covers back over his head, and asked, "But mooooom, why do I have to go to school evvveeerydaaaay?" I then tried to explain that since he was a big boy in kindergarten that he had to go to school Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, just like the song. When Saturday and Sunday comes around then "you can stay home and sleep." Then there was a pause. A little head popped out of the blanket-cocoon and asked, "Is today Saturday? Ohhhh, when will it be Saturday? That'll take forever!" After being threatened with the squirt bottle full of cold water, Trent was convinced that he should get moving (yes, I am such a mean mother). Once again the bus came and went, and we walked Trent to class. No tears and this time, just a little worry.


The third day of school went a little better. Yes, there is hope! There was still whining, but not as long or annoying (or maybe I just had enough sleep and wasn't bothered as much). Aleana's my morning bird, so she was up and ready and...what did I see? Yep, I saw it with my own two eyes. She was smiling, actually s-m-i-l-i-n-g! I have to admire her. I usually can't crack one those on my face until at least 9am. Trent on the other hand, still needed some squirt-bottle convincing, and a reminder that he just had one more day of school, that Saturday was the very next day. He got dressed and they were both out the door.


Waving bye to Aleana, seated on that ugly bus, I grabbed Trent's hand to take him to class. He clutched my hand, looked up at me and asked, "Mom, what does 'miss me' mean?" Hmmm, what an odd question. I replied, "I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to ask." He said, "When I get off the bus, you tell me you miss me. What does 'miss me' mean?" I explained to him the best way I could, that when he goes to school, the house is quiet, almost too quiet, and that I am used to having my little buddy around to hang out with. A few seconds went by, and then Trent, in a very serious and somewhat sad tone, said, "Ohhh. Mom. I wish I didn't have to go to school, so I could spend more time with you." I dropped him off at class, and this time there was no worry. As I walked out the door, my flood gates opened. My dear sweet little boy.

So it was the third day of school when I realized why I pushed all those thoughts to back of my mind. I realized how precious these years have been. I wouldn't have traded the endless piles of unfinished projects or the numerous books on the shelf that quietly call my name through the piles of dust. I wouldn't have traded these precious moments for a lonely freedom. And while I still resent the big yellow bus, I am deeply thankful for time. Time with my children, and time as a mother, now, yesterday, and forever.

3 comments:

andrea said...

Another great post! Your kids will treasure these.

Corie Green said...

All I can say is I love this! :)

littlelamb's said...

You are so great. I love the way you write. Hope all is well. We miss you guys.