Insulting to say the least. A former president...FORMER PRESIDENT Jimmy Carter speaks his views and says that opposition for President Obama is due to racism.
He says, "I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he's African-American," Carter told "NBC Nightly News." "I live in the South, and I've seen the South come a long way, and I've seen the rest of the country that shares the South's attitude toward minority groups at that time, particularly African-Americans." He continues to say, "That racism inclination still exists, and I think it's bubbled up to the surface because of belief among many white people -- not just in the South but around the country -- that African-Americans are not qualified to lead this great country. It's an abominable circumstance, and it grieves me and concerns me very deeply,"
Are you kidding me? Sure, there are those out there that think an African American should not be president. And yes, they are wrong for thinking that. But what about someone like me? By the normal standards, an average American (and white, heaven forbid). I neither like or dislike the President. I didn't vote for him, not because of his skin color, but because I really couldn't tell what his angle was. He's rather "young" in the political arena and I didn't know if I could "trust" him (as much as you could trust any politician). Plus, his track record was just as short as his experience. With that being said, he is the President of the United States, a leadership position that I respect no matter the color, size, shape, or religion of the person. He has been president for less than a year, and there remains a lot to be seen. In my opinion, there a some things so far that he has done right, and some things he has done that just baffles me.
The stimulus package(s). Baffles my mind. Lets give more of our money to the ones who couldn't be responsible for the money they already had, so we can save our, "the peoples' economy". Then not regulate it enough and watch as more of our money lines the pockets of the wealthiest. Really? That's what paying our taxes is all about? And being opposed to to this free handout out (the one where the wealthiest 1% of our country can get their greedy little hands on our hard earned money -the same group of people who's wealth equals more than the bottom 95% of American people's "wealth" combined)...this opposition makes me racist?
Or how about this Healthcare Plan, with a $90 billion dollar price tag? Where are our grandchildren's children supposed to get that kind of money? Because we surely don't have that kind of cash now. I am all for Healthcare reform. I am not opposed to that. But why the rush? This problem has been huge for years now...why push so hard so quick? It has a feeling of "let's get this passed - before the people realize what it really is". Gee, where have we seen that before? It can be clearly seen with the former presidency and the war in Iraq. To believe that a strong opposition for government in general is now seeded in racism because there is a new head-honcho is ridiculous (although one must note, opposing President Bush was considered "unpatriotic"...it seems that the terms have just changed to fit whatever spin "they" put on it). Here's a novel idea...What if opposition came from actually disagreeing with the policies presented? Or maybe it came about by distrust? How about common sense? How about actually listening to "we the people(s)" concerns. Nope. Because now if we voice our opposition we are labeled, according to Mr. Carter, as racist (hmm...is that an attempt to discredit what we have to say?).
But what is really bothersome, is that a former president made these remarks. He is not stupid. He is very well aware of the media monster or machine. He is aware from which era he served as president and what he wants his legacy to be. He is aware of his responsibility. And after all that, he pulls out the "racist card"? Is that all he could come up with? Why try to manipulate? I would say that Mr. Carter is wrong. And to label opposition as racist, not as distrust or free-speech, or part of democracy is abominable and concerns me deeply (if you couldn't already tell).
--------------------------
Off my soapbox now - just had to vent.
2 comments:
I 100% agree!! We (the white conservative christian folk) are deemed racist while the black conservative christian folk are called traitors! We DONT want a bill where we fund abortions. We don't want to be told what to do about health care...it's not up to the Government! That's on a state level! This is getting out of hand, almost to the point of Dictatorship! So forgive us Cosnervative Christians for wanting to regain our country back!!
K....Now I'm done :o)
Well, I don't think that they are completely telling us what to do about healthcare. We will still have options. And truth be told, insurance companies are already dictating what we do about healthcare. By deciding for us, the paying customer, what is deemed medically necessary and what is not, or what drug will work better for us than another. It should be our choice. Period.
The whole insurance system is messed up. Adding a "public option" just muddles it. Having comparative rates and a place to compare them is an idea - just don't know how effective it would be. Plus, the government does such a good job managing what other public programs we have, I just know the "public option" will be just as efficient. ;)
Post a Comment