Friday, January 1, 2010

Ringing in the New Year 2010...

So we had some fun filled plans (low-key) for our house to ring in the New Year. Game playing, mexican food (complete with 7-layer taco dip), root beer floats, and more game playing. I promised the kids that they could stay up until midnight to watch the ball drop if - IF- they helped me clean the house (bribery is such an amazing tool and I am not afraid to use it). Our house was trashed and needed a huge over-haul in the worst kind of way...laundry, dishes, trash, bathrooms, bedrooms and then some more laundry. However, I haven't been feeling so great (you know the last trimester crud) and was draggin' a little bit. Since the kids didn't have school, this was my perfect opportunity to make them do all the work. The way I see it, after Christmas, they owe me. Big time. I'm talking Vacuuming. Mopping. Scrubbing. Or so that was my plan - bwah-hahahaha...

But, that didn't happen. Instead I spent most of New Years Eve in the hospital, hooked up the the fetal monitor (why they made me wear a stupid hospital gown, I will never know - it's not like they were going to let me have the baby just yet) as it tracked my contractions. I blame it on the full moon, or maybe because it's the second one of the month. Yep, I blame it on the blue moon. So, after about 3 hours and a shot to stop the contractions, the Dr. stopped by and made sure everything was okay to release me. Yes, I am dilated, but not much and the baby is doing fine. The medicine did it's job. Only bummer? I get be on "modified" bed rest (which is a down grade from "strict" bed rest as she first told me) for at least the next few weeks. "Modified"?!? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Does she know what my life is like? How am I supposed to do that? But, I know she's right. As long as I behave myself, I do pretty good. And as evidence shows, that ol' uterus of mine sure gets cranky if I don't stay put.

...So much for the New Years plans. Sigh. In the end, the house was still trashed, we had Jack In the Box for dinner, and I stayed put. Some friends invited us over to play games, so I sent Tracy and the oldest two over there, after Hannah went down for the night. And I sat myself down in my super cozy recliner and did nothing (which is kind of nice...for a little bit anyway...after that, it gets rather annoying). Midnight came, and I went to bed.

The first day of 2010? Well, it's been nice and full of nothing for me. But the kids did manage to create their own special way to ring in the New Year.

Trent decided to lose his first tooth.

Actually, Aleana helped. From what I was told, they were having a pillow fight, and Aleana socked him in the mouth with the pillow. It didn't hurt or anything, but somehow the fabric got caught on the tooth (which was loose to begin with - he was just too chicken to pull it out). Once they got the fabric untangled, he got the nerve to finish the job. Way to go bud!



Hannah decided she wanted to "have pretties" in 2010.

Masterpiece created with "espresso brown" eyeliner. Which reminds me, I need to put that on the shopping list...



And, I talked Tracy (who is awesome and oh how I love him so) into making us some delicious ebelskivers. He did great, and the kids got to help.

Trent holding the pan (yes he is sad, because he managed to burn his finger, but that's another story) and Aleana showcases their finished work...well what's left of it. :)

As for New Year's resolutions...I am having a hard time coming up with something really good. I have already decided to get back on weight watchers as soon as I can after the baby is born, but that was decided the moment I found out I was pregnant. Well, maybe not the first moment...but few moments later, after I got over the initial shock. And then I thought about making it a goal to go to Yellowstone this year, but then I don't handle camping with an infant very well, so that one will have to be in 2011. So I am pretty much at a loss. I'll come up with something, once my brain isn't so fuzzy, and my belly isn't so...well...Shamu-like.

4 comments:

Melody said...

Haha...well at least you should be proud that she got the eye liner close enough to her eye :o)

Stephanie said...

I am so glad you got past your blogger boredom. I am so sorry this pregnancy has been so difficult! I can't believe your countdown ticker is at 21 days...

You kids are so adorable and I love reading about your cute family. Can't wait to see the new little one!!

annie valentine said...

I see you've got third trimester writer's block. I'm so glad you still show your lovely mug around my house though!

brittany marie davis said...

I've been checking back to see any baby news. How are you?

I've been meaning to tell you how beautiful your kids are. Such cuties!

Hope all is well!