Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Blessings part 2

Bonus
----------------

I should say that I am a self-described mama bear who is not afraid to bare her claws or teeth for that matter, when her babies require protection. However, this mama also has a tendency to melt like honey...especially when her cubs are just starting out. My heart melts when Luke flashes his toothless grin with those baby blues sparkling my way, or when I pick him up and all I see and feel is roll after roll, and don't even get me started on the hunk-a-chunk cheeks that I can't seem to quit kissing... Puddle of honey I am. What a sweet, sweet baby he is. A blessing like no other.

Luke "hanging" out in his RESQ Wedge (click here) - the most awesome invention for babies like him who suffer from severe reflux and for mommies like me who are desperate for sleep. It's expensive, but our insurance covers it (honestly would've paid for it even if the insurance didn't cover because it is that awesome). It's better than anything else I have found - other wedges don't have the 30% incline needed, inclining the crib mattress doesn't work because he just slides down when he squirms, and car seats don't work because the bent legs adds pressure on the tummy and the neck isn't straight enough which can be a problem if there is any aspiration episodes. Instead of sleeping 20 min at a time (waking up crying in pain), Luke actually naps 2-3 hours each time during the day, and sleeps at least 7 hours at night. He wakes up happy. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.


Of course, the first 5 weeks or so of life has been super rough for Luke with his reflux and swallowing issues. He is such a patient little guy who is a little fighter on the inside. There has been a couple of hospital stays, trial and error in the meds department, and lots and LOTS of sleepless nights for mom and baby. I listed all the times we had to see the Dr. in the first month of Luke's life (at the bottom of the post) as a personal reminder just for me. I want to remember what I have learned about strength and it's source. Heaven knows that this isn't the only time when I will have sleepless nights full of worry and angst, knowing I am not the one in control. (4 kids in their teenage years, need I say more? Frightening.) I need to remember times like these, when I find myself collapsing to my knees completely spent, unable to move. What I really, really need to remember is what I have found in doing so, because I seem to keep forgetting that part. I have found that the Lord loves me, he hears and answers my prayers (even if He has to sometimes decipher blubbered words due to waterworks on my part). He knows what is needed before I do. There are so many things that could have gone wrong with Luke, so many concerns from the doctors and us. But there are so many things that have gone right, without explanation - except through the power of prayer. We are blessed. It boggles my mind. I am grateful.


"Blue Light Special" - Luke under the bili-light. He loved it in there. It was nice and warm...maybe he felt like he was back in the womb. It was interesting to watch him move and squirm, because I was actually seeing what I felt for so many months. Kind of cool.


Doctors, hospitals, and medicine, oh my!
----------------------------------------

2/3 Luke arrived!

2/4 Aspirated his vomit into his lungs, put on O2 - Dr. suspected reflux. Did EKG, and x-rays to rule out other complications. We were really scared. So far, it's just reflux.

2/6 Jaundice - had to use the bili-light

2/7 Finally got him weaned off the O2, and was released from the hospital with some prevacid and instructions to keep Luke upright for 20-30 min after feedings and lay him down in his crib with his mattress inclined. (At this point he was still eating every 2 hours. When it takes 35 min to feed, 15 min to burp, then add the diaper/clothes changes and the upright for 30 min after eating - I had a 30 min break to eat, sleep, and shower. Yep, was a walking zombie.)

2/8 Had to go back to the Doctor to check bili-levels and his O2 sat. rate. Everything looked good.

2/9 Dr.'s appt for weight check and O2 levels again. Both were good.

2/11 Dr.'s appt - reflux issues (choking, coughing with reflux episodes) - Dr. ordered a videofloroscopic swallow study.

2/12 Dr.'s appt - clogged tear ducts, that turned into infection. Got some antibiotics.

2/16 Dr.'s appt - still having reflux issues, cyanosis (turning blue due to lack of O2), and a persistent cough.

2/16 Dr. concerned with reflux/cyanosis issues and cough, admitted Luke to hospital again.

2/16 Luke tested positive for RSV.

2/18 After much fasting and prayers from family/friends and a priesthood blessing, Luke was released from the hospital. Still having reflux episodes, but not with cyanosis. Dr. upped the dose of prevacid and added reglan to the regiment. RSV was running it's course and the worst was over.

2/19 Dr. appt - Follow up. Everything looked good, had some fluid behind his ears. Dr. said it was clear and was normal due to the RSV. Reglan seems to be helping with the reflux.

2/20 Took Luke to the ER (As Dr.'s office is closed on Sat. evenings). His appetite has diminished and he's fussy. Had double ear infection. Got some antibiotics.

2/26 Dr. appt - Follow up on the ear infections. Ears looking better, but needed to stay on antibiotics longer.

3/05 Dr. appt - 1 month well-child check. Weight looks great. He's in the 96% for height, 94% for weight, 88% for head - awesome considering everything. Also had to get circumcised - I felt so bad for the little guy (couldn't do it at the hospital because of everything - dr. wanted to be sure he was thriving first).

3/23 Finally had the videofloroscopic swallow study (x-ray/barium swallow to see how he is swallowing) done. Test revealed he is having problems swallowing - tires easily, and is aspirating more than we thought. Need to see specialist, waiting for Dr. referral.

1 comment:

We are the Goodwin's said...

WOW Poor little man!!! Poor Mama!!! I hope they can get everything figured out and that he stays well for you. He is beautiful!!!