Monday, April 18, 2011

Love it or hate it...

Shark S3501Q Deluxe Steam Pocket Mop


As far as chores go, I don't have a favorite - but I do have a few that I really can't stand to do. Mopping is one of them. The mop, the nasty water, the cleaner, the inevitable and mostly painful attraction between my kids and the wet floor...all reasons why this chore ranks the highest on my "rather not do" list. So, I bit the bullet. I bought a steam mop. Why did I buy a shark? Well, truthfully because it was on sale. I got it at Big Lots for $59.00. From what I could tell, the shark steam mop comes in a few different packages - and of course they are priced accordingly. The one I purchased included both swivel heads and THREE cloth covers for each head, as well as a dusting cover (for hardwood floors) and an attachment to use with carpet. Now when I started looking at buying a Shark, it was hard to find anything priced under $130.00 - and that price didn't include all of the extras that came with my set. I have, however, noticed a huge price drop within the last month. Average seems to be about $85 - $100. Why? Because shark has come out with a newer version.

The box had been sitting on the floor in the hallway for 3 weeks before I finally decided to give the whole steam mop thing a try. Yes, I am admitting that my floors had not been mopped in over three weeks. I figured that if the mop can handle 3 weeks of sticky-4 kid-2 dog-mess then it would be a keeper. Assembling the mop was quick and easy. Getting started was a cinch. I can't believe how fast I was able to get the entire kitchen and dining area clean. It was so fast in fact, I had some time leftover and was able to mop the bathroom floor as well.

Positives:
- only takes 30 seconds to warm up
- super long cord
- light-weight, not bulky - allows for easy storage
- handle length is adjustable
- bigger tank than most steam mops - tank was still half-full when I finished
- swivel heads allow easy maneuverability, the triangle one works great in the kid's bathroom
- 3 sets of cloth covers
- cloth covers are easy to put on and remove, as well as being well-made. Machine washable.
- It actually cleans - better than a traditional mop - in a fraction of the time
- no cleaner or bucket needed
- floor was barely damp afterward and dried very quickly
- I actually enjoyed mopping - guess there's a first time for everything!

Negatives:
- The only concern I had was allowing the cloth and head to cool down (directions said 2 - 5 mins, but after just a minute it was cool enough) - and discharging the steam build up, once you are done mopping. It's not a big deal - I just have to be sure not to walk away so that my kids don't touch the steam mop when it's cooling down.

Overall, I have to say - that this is one of the few times that I actually like a product as much as I thought I would. It really does do what it promises to do. I have clean floors and it didn't take me half the day to get it done. My kids didn't slip and fall, my baby didn't try to get in the nasty bucket of water, and I had time left over enough to blog about my very happy purchase. I know the latest and greatest just came out - but this older version works great. If you are looking to make your life a little easier and want to save some money at the same time - take advantage of the sale prices.

Shark Steam Mop = Love it!!!

7 comments:

{kim} said...

Hmmm, I might have to get one of those. I use a Hoover floormate now but I think it's almost time to retire it.

Michelle said...

Good to know. I have been thinking about getting the vacuum/steam mop for my house since i have all the wood floors but have been to chicken/broke to do it. I loathe vacuuming and mopping.

Michelle said...

Good to know. I have been thinking about getting the vacuum/steam mop for my house since i have all the wood floors but have been to chicken/broke to do it. I loathe vacuuming and mopping.

Corie Green said...

Ok one word of warning/ advice... Only use deionized water in it.. Tap water will cause a limescale build up that will clog the machine and render it useless. And there was no safe way I could find that could clean it and make it useable again. I miss my steam cleaner...

The Giles Files said...

Oooo - Thanks for the heads up Corie. It makes sense that the water would do that, but I would have never thought about it. Distilled water it is...

The Giles Files said...

Michelle - vacuum/steam mop combo is one of the new products that shark has put out. I saw it at Costco for $84.00 (anywhere else and it's been $120+). It's designed for hardwood floors :)

littlelamb's said...

I like mine. I just miss the clean smell :( It seems to work really well!