The other thing that has happened is that I have decided to run the Dirty Dash 10K this summer (end of August) with Trace and some family and friends. I am anxious to get that part of my life back. This race is right up my alley. It's all about having fun and challenging yourself. In my bright mind, I decided to start running. Not training - but I wanted to see how my body would react to a jog. So I ran 1/2 mile. Nothing serious. Other than asthma, my body and muscles felt great. Things were moving together. But then it happened. I got a little pain in the top of my left hip. It was the same faint pain that I have been getting off and on since I started working out after the surgery. It wasn't in the hip joint, but on the top crest part of the hip. Nothing major - it was more of an annoying pain. After the short jog, I went and played volleyball. The hip pain kept getting worse, but I played through assuming the pain was chalked up to the "your body isn't what it used to be" reason. By the time I went to bed, I couldn't sleep because the pain was so intense. It hurt to move, it hurt to lay down, I was miserable. By the time I got up, both sides of my hips were hurting. Every step I took, it felt like someone was stabbing me with an icepick. I walked like E.T. (and said Oooouch) Working out for the next week wasn't even an option, as I couldn't even walk normal.
I finally decided enough was enough, and went to a chiropractor. I went in thinking it was my TFL muscle...but it appears to be the iliopsoas muscle group. The hard thing is - the one set of muscles that can't be easily reached, and that remain "flexed" most of the time - is the group that decided to wreak havoc on me. We are still in the beginning phases as to what type of therapy to use. It looks like it will be a process of elimination. So first, we have to work on decompressing my lower back because apparently that can be a problem (same problem I have had for the past 14 years...but who's counting?), which can create bigger problems - such as hip issues. Deep tissue massage therapy is also something that the Dr thinks will help. My big issue with all of this?!? Time. The time it takes for these things to heal can be painstakingly slow. Time is something that I don't have. I need to exercise to help with plateaus. I need to start training for the 10k pretty quick (within the next 3 weeks) if I want to be ready. I haven't worked out for 2 weeks now - and I still have pain every time I take a step, especially right after I stand up. Tomorrow I am going to try some yoga and see if I can tolerate that. I am just afraid that my body, because it has been under so much stress, might take longer to heal. Getting old is stupid.
Where's E.T. when you need him? Can't he just say Oooouch and heal me? Please.
5 comments:
You are so awesome! It's inspiring.
Wow. Congrats on losing so much! That is wonderful news.
On the other hand, I'm sorry to hear about your hip pain. I have back issues and it's really frustrating. I hope you can find something that works for you.
Your "fluffiness" lol, i love it! Great job on 94 lbs, that's amazing! Keep your head up. I've struggled with an IT Band injury for 3 1/2 years now. It sucks not being able to do the things you want to because of an injury. Try getting a foam roller?
As for your back, I have a lot of back issues. I have been told that if you make your back completely straight and scoot to the edge of your seat before standing up, it helps a ton with the pain as far as sitting and standing goes. NO fun at all though. You are doing amazing though, and you are beautiful.
Setbacks stink. But look at all you've accomplished! I hope you are able to heal quickly and get back to running.
Post a Comment