This past week was the last week of school for Aleana and Trent. I must admit, it was a tough week. The last week of school is always busy, then let's add two sick (by sick, I mean puking) kids on the same day and time, as well as a fussy little one (my fault, I ate Mexican food), preschool graduation, field day for Aleana, preparations for Aleana's bday party, massive yard work (we are finally re-landscaping our backyard and putting in a swing set), a trip to the Dr myself, several trips to Home Depot, loads of laundry (by loads, I mean mounds) yet to be washed, stinky dishes in the sink, and a slow drain that I (yes, me) had to snake because the professional strength Draino did diddly-squat to what I later found out was a hairball on steroids. Oh ya, did I mention it was our Anniversary on the 21st? Nine years of wedded bliss - and we both pathetically forgot until we got an email from Tracy's brother wishing us a Happy Anniversary. Sad, sad. You always hear the stories about the husband forgetting, but both of us?! What's up with that? Anyway, not a fun week.
Needless to say, by Sunday, I was exhausted and feeling...um well, defeated. How do moms do this? How do they stay sane? What was my mom thinking having F-I-V-E kids???? What was Dad and Gail thinking, putting two families together = 8 KIDS?!?! I CAN"T DO THIS!!! Deep breaths, breathe...breathe. Okay, so maybe in the moment of it all, I was letting myself get out of control and was reaching for the panic button. And I am sure every mom out there has reached that point many times.
Just when I thought I reached my breaking point, I get to experience a wonderful "that's it" moment in church. The teacher was discussing the trials of motherhood. (Quite a fitting lesson after the week I had, don't ya think?) It was something that I needed to hear. She read a quote. And it was one that I have heard before, but this time it really resonated with me. "The joy of life comes in moments".
SO I got to thinking about my week once again, trying to put things into perspective. And while I can assure you that I don't find any joy in cleaning out the puke bowl for the umpteenth time, or folding shirt after shirt, I was surprised on what I did find joy in. Having my almost five year old little boy crawling up on my lap and letting me hold him so he could have the mommy band aid that makes everything alright. I found joy in watching Aleana play with Hannah, and seeing Hannah's face light up, just because of her big sister. Remembering the same moments, I had as a child with Tessa. Seeing that sister relationship already, and just being amazed by it all. Seeing smiles on my kids faces as we take yet another trip to Home Depot and purchase a swing set. They were so excited - and well behaved for a change (a swing set makes for excellent bribery) :) I even found joy in snaking the drain - AFTER I finished it because I did it, and I didn't break anything:).
So while, there are times when I feel like that frog who's stuck in a bowl of cream, swimming and swimming, wanting to give up...if I just hang in there, soon enough that cream will turn to butter. I just wish that I could sometimes have floaties to help when I think I can't do it anymore. Until then, I just have to keep looking for the moments.
4 comments:
I can completely relate to days like that! Your insight into and into the moments helps! Thanks!
So this is what I'm getting into?!! :) j/k I know there will be rough days but it's all of those many "moments" that I'm sooo freakin excited for!
Oh man!! I hear ya. But in reality it really is all worth it. I hope that this week is better. Hey, can you send me your email address??? Thanks sister.
I am glad that we are not the only ones both Rafael and I forgot our 5th anniversary this year. Yes both of us as well. We didnt remember until 2 days after when my sister asked us what we did for our anniversary. You are not the only one. Oh and my mounds of laundry are never ending, its a good thing my kids are so dang cute in those clothes huh?
Post a Comment