Sunday, September 14, 2008

This Week in the Funnies...vol 1

My friend Julie does this really neat thing.  She keeps a box of 3x5 cards in her kitchen.  For recipes you may ask?  Nope.  she uses them to write down all of the silly stuff that her kids say.  As they have gotten older they go through the box and laugh about it.  An easy, quick way to record life's funny stuff.  Then I have another friend, Andrea, who has a monthly blog called "OOTMB" (out of the mouth of babes) and I really enjoy reading about what her kids are up too. 

Soooo...I am using both ideas to add a weekly (weekly? rather ambitious I know...it maybe bi-weekly depending on the "material") segment.  Here it goes.
*******************************************************
This Week in the Funnies...vol 1

Aleana and Trent were playing as I was busy with job search stuff (FYI - I did take the job at the independent pharmacy and will start in a couple days...wish me luck).   This is what I over-heard...

A: Trent, you look like a Porca.

T:  What's a Porca?

A:  It's half porcupine, and half really weird.  I mean really, really, really weird.

Guess she wanted Trent to know he's weird.  So which is worse, being the one compared to a "Porca" or the one who came up with the word in the first place?
.........................................................................................

Trent has been behaving himself at school.  He's also really good at telling what he has learned each day.  He got off the bus and told me how he learned about patterns and how words can rhyme.  I thought nothing of it, until we had this conversation at bedtime that evening:

T: Mom, did you know that 'spit' rhymes with the word 'sh*t'?

Brakes squealing...Say What?!?  Glad he didn't make that connection at school.  Guess he watched 'Goonies' one too many times :)
.......................................................................................

We were having FHE and trying to teach the kids about Jesus and obedience.  And then out of nowhere Trent asked me this question:

Trent:  Mom, did you know that JESUS is even MORE powerful than S-U-P-E-R-M-A-N?

Oh, my son.  Where do I even begin....
.....................................................................................

Tracy has this tradition with the kids that he has been doing since Aleana was 2: Daddy/daughter dates, (or Father/son adventures with Trent).  Last Tuesday, it was Aleana's turn.  They decided to ride bikes on the trail and eat dinner at Sonic.  When they were eating, Aleana wanted to know how Daddy met Mommy.  So Tracy told the story about us meeting each other playing basketball, and how our first date was going to the Coyotes/Kings game.  He then proceeded to tell her how he was scared that Mommy wouldn't go on another date with him...

A:  But, Dad, why wouldn't Mom want to date you?

Dad: Because I liked her so much, that I kissed her on our first date.  It kind of surprised her, and I was worried that she would think that I was moving too fast.  So I left her a message the next day telling her that I was sorry.

A:  Oh.  Daddy, if you talk to Mama about it, I am sure she'll forgive you now.

Ahhh, the innocence of a child.  And yes, babe, I do forgive you :)
...................................................................................

So with our last name being Giles, we often get it mispronounced.  Instead of 'Giles" with a 'G' as in 'George' sound, it is often pronounced with a 'G' as in 'Garage' sound.  It doesn't bother me much, but evidently it isn't the same case with Trent.

At church, Trent was asked to give the prayer in primary.  The primary leader who was conducting said, "And Trent Giles (with a hard G sound) will be giving the closing prayer".  Trent, with the 'you-know-where-to-go' look, and a stern voice, loudly spoke so that everyone could hear, "It's Trent G-I-L-E-S!  And if you can't say it right, then I'm not sayin' the prayer!"

Bet that lady won't make that mistake again. :)  He maybe be spittin' image of his daddy, but there's some of me in there...
................................................................................

The other day I was making PB&J, a staple at our house.  The kids don't really care for PB unless it is with chocolate, so I was getting grief from Trent.  He only wanted a 'jelly' sandwich, no PB.  I told him he didn't get a choice in the matter, and that seemed to stop his whining.  He then asked:

Trent:  Mom, is jelly made out of jellyfish?

Could you imagine what kind of jelly sandwich that would make?!?
..............................................................................

And that sums up a week in this Giles house.




 

12 comments:

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

This is the cutest idea ever! I have to copy you now... hope you don't mind :) I was laughing so hard it made me cry, lol.

andrea said...

LOVE it, Sheri! Gotta watch those rhyming words, huh?

Corie Green said...

Ha Ha Ha I love it! Your Trent sounds EXACTLY like my Emma. :) She has no problem telling anyone how it is! ;) Great idea!

Kristal said...

K, the spit one is hilarious. Hey, is Andrea, Andrea gerber? Didn't a lizard go up her pants at girls camp once??? Do you guys know what Mark is up to? I used to love that kid!
Anyway, back to your things. These are fun! SO FUN! and I'm so glad that there's other momo mom's out there that macked their hubby on the first meeting, takes away from my hoochiness, and yes I made that word up.
K, love this idea. I used to write them on the side of my blog, then I started slacking, but you've motivated me to get on the ball again! THANKS!

andrea said...

Yes, Kristal. Unfortunately I AM the one that had the lizard crawl up my pants AND accidentally mooned my stake president and bishop. Not many people can say that. You'll be happy to hear I haven't had a more embarrassing moment in the last 13 years! (Has it been that long?) :)

Mindy said...

FYI, I tagged you on my blog :)

Tanya said...

This is awesome! I love the way little munchkins think. I can't wait till Blake is old enough so that I can do this too!

DeAynne said...

Sheri, you gotta love those little words. Especailly when they use them in the right context. Ugh. But this was fun to read. Hope that you are doing good. Thanks for your love. Talk to you soon.

{kim} said...

What a great idea! Kids definitely say the funniest things. I might have to try this :-)

littlelamb's said...

Crap that is so funny. I love the SH***t that is totally my house and Goonie's had to be abandoned for a bit for that exact reason. How are ya?

Scott-ish Nomads said...

Oh, how fun. I've been doing this since the kids were little (with a couple of years off when Eryn was born and I had no time), writing down something cute/funny/significant about the kids each day. They actually sit and read it now as a group; it's pretty cute. Trent makes me laugh so hard! Thanks for sharing, my friend!!!