Thursday, April 2, 2009

Duct Tape Experiment

A while back, Aleana was assigned a school project called a "Hunk-of-Junk".  She was to collect junk (recycle so to speak) and make something out of it.  She decided to make a robot that could "give out" candy.  She set about collecting her things, and we quickly realized that we needed duct tape...a whole lot of duct tape.  

As Tracy was helping her tape everything together, we started discussing how useful duct tape can be.  It can temporarily stop leaks.  It can kill warts.  Heck, I had a friend in high school that made duct tape pants.  It's an all-purpose item.  Then Tracy told me that it was even strong enough to tape someone up on the wall.  I disagreed.  Who would tape someone up to the wall?  Tracy looked at Aleana and Aleana looked at him.  I could see the wheels-a-turnin' and a decision was made to prove me wrong.  They decided to conduct their own little experiment, with Aleana almost too happily volunteering to be the guinea pig (Trent was with me, he thought they were a little nuts). 

The Duct Tape Experiment:

Hypothesis:  Duct Tape is strong enough to hold a person up, when they are taped to wall.

Items needed: A large roll of duct tape and a sucker willing to be taped to a wall before they fall flat on their face.

Procedure:  
1. Have crazy person, er I mean test subject stand on a chair.
2. Using the "tape anywhere" method, apply tape - being sure that the hair does not get caught.


3. After careful tape placement, with reinforcement everywhere, slowly remove chair.  Be ready to catch the test subject.


4. Strike a pose :)

5. Gloat and tell the skeptic how wrong she was...

And wrong I was!  I must say though, I have never laughed so hard in my life.  I couldn't believe that a.) I am allowing my daughter to be taped to the wall.  What kind of mother does that?...b.) won't this do something to the finish on the wall, we are renting and I would really like to get our deposit back...and c.) our poor, poor neighbors, who share a wall with us...I am so irresponsible!

So once one is hanging around on a wall, what does one do?

Strike more poses, to make mom laugh so hard she cries...

Be like the wall, think like a wall thinks...

Read a book...

By this time, Trent was ready to try it, however we kind of used the whole roll of tape on Aleana, so he had to settle for this...

If you look closely in the above pic, on the right side, Trent got brave and taped his transformer to the wall...Man, that really is some strong tape! :)

Aleana finally got tired of hanging around, so we just peeled her right off.

(front view)

(back view - kind of looks like a spider web)

Outcome:  A roll of duct tape $7.00 + a crazy girl w/ mom's laughter = priceless!

ps- No walls were injured in the process of this experiment...

**************************************

And since I haven't posted in such a long time, here are some bonus pics:

My Hannah-bear aka "Bearded Lady" via Oreo cookies :)


Aleana and Trent at the Monster Jam, you think Trent had a good time?


Sasha...the world's greatest. dog. ever.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Love ya!

Melody said...

LOL!!!! That is WAY too funny!! I've seen a picture on the web of someone who duct taped their baby to the wall and the caption I think said " redneck high chair". lol

AW Cake! said...

Bwahahahaha!!! I love it! Maye I can convince the three monkeys to particpate in this experiment and conveniently need to run an errand while they're up there...
Thanks for the cheap babysitting idea!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! That is the best experiment EVER!!!! I so want to try it with Corie's kids. Aleana needs to submit that to the school science fair. It would at least win the "most entertaining" award.

ensadler said...

Nice! Now I know duct tape will hold a person's weight. My question is how long did this take? I can't believe how big the kids have gotten. I am looking forward to seeing you guys this summer!

andrea said...

Love it! I totally pictured it on a brick wall or garage--something that wouldn't matter if it got damaged. No, you went right for the kitchen wall. And it didn't even get ruined! Amazing.

Scott-ish Nomads said...

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time--the book reading pic is the best. Thanks for sharing!!!

Stephanie said...

This is adorable...I called my kids in to read this and they were laughing!! Fun stuff. Great fun!

Jeff, Mandy and Kids! said...

I love this! You guys are hilarious! Now I wanna see just how much tape it would take to get my kids stuck to the wall. It might even buy me a few minutes of "quiet time"! :) Thanks for the idea!!!

Life as a Greenstreet said...

freakin hilarious! Love her actions too!

Leah and Mike said...

Duct tape is amazing and I love that you're family experimented, how fun to kooky things as a family, these are the moments that will stay with them forever and they'll remember how awesome their parents were.

I loved your comments on healthcare, I was talking to my brother, Jared the next day about it and he said the same thing you ended with, to privatize (sp?) the healthcare companies, then they would competive in their rates, instead of raising them so high. It's all a matter of greed. I know that we should be responsible for ourselves and our own family, but I also know the scriptures tell us to take care of the poor. We need to find balance.

Weight watchers is going great. I've lost 16 pounds since Feb. I could have lost more, but I went two weeks with no gain or lose and then two weeks where I gained 3 lbs. All my fault, I wasn't following the program and wasn't going to the meetings. I like going to the meetings more then online. I need the accountibility. I think it's the smartest program. It's just about keeping track of what you eat and adding excerise into your routine (I'm still working on that one) But all the diets in the world, still tell you that eating right and excerising will help evertime. I like having something that's just for me, it's not about being a mom or wife or employee, it's about being healthy for me and meeting others really strengthen me. Let me know if you do it and we can email, that's what I do with my aunt.
Hope things are well with you.

Natalie said...

Haha I absolutely LOVE this!!! I can't show Zack or Kelley or they will think they will have to do it...OR...should I? hehe Anyhow! Hope you guys are good! We need to get together sometime soon! We live so close, yet so far away it seems! Let me know when is good for you. I'm off on the weekends. Take Care!

Susie and Josh said...

Hey it is so nice to hear from you! Lol I loved the pyscho blog stalker comment! So where do you live??? Your family is absolutely adorable!

Natalie said...

Yes, that will put us closer!! We live like 2 blocks from the mall, so if you know where that is, then you know the general area of where I live. Yay! I'm so glad you guys found a house. Will you still be working there in Nampa then, what is going on with you guys? We need to get together sometime soon! OH! Can I possibly get Michelle's email address from you? I want to email her so I can get into her blog! Thanks so much! Take Care!