Now I have to brag a little about my kids, after all this is a blog ;)
Aleana and Trent are complete opposites in just about every way. From how they whine and fight, to how they share, to how they learn, they are VERY different. School is no exception. They are both bright. They are above grade level on just about everything. I must say it is not to my credit. I feel that sometimes as a society, we put too much pressure for our kids to be the smartest and greatest, and forget to let them be kids. So I intentionally let them set the pace on what they want to learn. No pressure. Aleana taught herself how to read before kindergarten and Trent didn't even know the whole alphabet when he started school. Aleana loves to read, and Trent could take apart my sewing machine and put it back together before he was three (sigh...only one screw was left over). One is like a sponge, she just soaks it up and one learns by hands on and asks a whole bunch of "why's" until he is satisfied with the answers. For the most part, they seem to figure it out in their own little way.
Imagine my surprise when I learned that they had BOTH qualified in their classrooms to compete in the school spelling bee. Honestly, I wasn't shocked that Aleana did (with all the reading she does) but I figured Trent could have cared less about about some silly spelling bee (where's the fun in spelling words...aloud?!?). They had a week to prepare themselves. I loved listening to Aleana and Trent practicing their list of words. Aleana would go on and on and on...and Trent would lose interest after about 5 minutes. What I thought was really neat, is for a small moment (five minutes max.) after school they shared a common ground and they had FUN studying...to-geth-er. No fighting, yelling or crying. A spelling bee brought peace to my house...who knew?!?
At the school level (Neither Tracy or I were able to go because of his new job and me just having had the baby - which really bummed me out and no pictures...) Anyway, they both did really well. Trent made it three rounds and then got out. I am so proud of him. When I asked him which word he got out on, he said, "I don't know. It was just some hard one." A very Trent response. :)
Aleana made it to the top two students and qualified for the district competition. It was held in the evening, so Tracy was able to go. Aleana did a super job! She lasted eight agonizing rounds. She was so nervous, her legs were moving and swinging and tapping the entire time she was on stage. She placed third overall, which is awesome if I do say so myself :)
Aleana - nervous just before they started.
The word she got out on was cacophony - I am ashamed to admit - I had to look it up to know the meaning. Defintion: ca-coph-o-ny n.pl. 1. loud, jarring, disagreeable sounds. Hmmm - that's exactly what my house sounds like when there are not any spelling bees buzzing around.
4 comments:
Way to go Aleana and Trent! I still remember the words I missed in Jr. high spelling bees: catacomb and piccolo. I think Aaron might have been at districts with me when I missed that last one. Our school in NC doesn't have spelling bees. Maybe that's what we need to supplement our sibling love over here! :)
Good for your kids! Spelling bees are nerveracking! I was in one as a 7th grader and almost passed out.
OK - so I have to admit something. It is something to this day, that my family doesn't let me forget. So when I was in the 6th grade I won the spelling bee for Jefferson Elementary - which qualified me to go to regionals in Joe City. I studied so hard for 2 weeks. I was sooooo nervous. So nervous in fact, that I got out in the first round. The word I mispelled? Dishrag. Yep, I spelled it dishwrag. I knew it was wrong the moment it came out of my mouth. I looked over in the audience and saw my dad put his head in his hand and just shake his head. And from then on, any time they could they would tease me, "Sheri would you get me the dishWWWWWag", "Sheri, it's your turn to wipe off the table, get a dishWWWWag". Sigh.
What's worse, is that I told my daughter that I won the spelling bee, but got out at regionals...and I had to tell her what I mispelled. It was the walk of shame all over again. Yep, having your 9 yr old laugh at you for something you did almost 20 years ago...classic.
Jenny - can you email your blog site again...sherigiles@hotmail.com
Post a Comment