I just turned 16 years old and I was too busy to be bothered enough for a "sweet 16" birthday party. Basketball was, by far, like way more important. Duh! Then, of course, there was work and school - and I guess it just really wasn't that big of a deal to me. I wasn't sad about it. To be honest, it really had not crossed my mind all that much. So fast forward about a month later- I had started dating a boy that I had a crush on for-like-ever. Sigh. Really - I think I started liking him about a few months before...but time for a teen seems to move so tortuously slow. And hey, just because I didn't have a big shin-dig for my birthday doesn't mean I couldn't enjoy the newly acquired privilege of dating. I had, after all, just turned 16. It was THE magical number I had been waiting for, for at least the 4 previous birthdays. Who needs a party when one can date?
Sixteen sounds so young now, doesn't it?
Anyway this boy, along with my brother, had invited me to go bowling after I got off work. A real date! I called my parents from the Root Beer Stand (best place to work as a teenager by the way) and asked if it was okay. They were fine with it - but instructed me to check-in at home first. The normal standard stuff. Plus I wanted to get changed out of my stinky-smelled-like-chili fries w/cheese work clothes. Those chili fries with cheese (I like mine with extra cheese and some El Pato sauce) may be the best tasting greasy food on the planet, but it's really not as attractive to smell like them.
Aaron and the boyfriend came and picked me up after I had finished my portion of closing the Root Beer Stand. As we pulled up to the house, I noticed all the lights were off. Why didn't Aaron turn on the outside lights when he left to pick me up? No big deal - having lived there my entire life, it's not like I couldn't find the door. As I opened the door - I was immediately "greeted" by a bright-white-newly shaved/bald-headed guy, let's call him Mr. Magoo. And by "greeted" - I mean Mr. Magoo jumped out from nowhere - yelling "SURPRISE" right in my face. My first thought, in the brief moment of confusion, was to overcome the strong desire to repeatedly smack some hair back on that shiny head. Then the lights came on and I as looked around and saw my friends, it all started to make sense. It was my very own surprise party. And not just any surprise party - but a surprise UNbirthday party. Who gets those? Me. Not many people can say that. It was awesome. It was waaaaay better than any old generic "sweet 16" party. I felt special.
On Monday, Aleana came home from school and brought in the mail. I started sorting through the normal stuff. Bills. Junk mail. More bills. Then there was an envelope addressed to yours truly, from my parents. In my mind I was thinking - what could this be? I already got my birthday card - and so did Hannah and Luke. Trace's birthday isn't for another week. So I opened it up and it was a card. For me. I read it, and started to cry. Aleana, curious as to why I was having a sudden episode of "allergies", pulled the card from my hands. Upon reading it, she was just more confused. My parents sent me a card that said something about luck having nothing to do with my hard work. Taped to the inside of the card was money. Cold hard cash - with a hand written note that told me to go buy some new clothes. Money to buy clothes. For me. It was so touching and unexpected. The wave of emotions was just as unexpected. Happy tears. Happy that they thought of me, happy that I could shop, happy that I am accomplishing something positive on this weight-loss journey. It's always nice to get something in the mail these days that doesn't require me to pay out money - but to get a gift on an UNbirthday kind of day?
My parents did it again.
Surprise happy unbirthday to me 2.0 :)
ps - Thanks Mom and Dad. I spent the money already. I shopped at Maurice's. I am liking their clothes this season. Or maybe it's just that I am liking that they actually fit on me now.
7 comments:
So very cool! And yes shopping can be fun. Go to Kohl's if they have them up there. The not only have great sales but usually they will send out 30% off coupons you can use during the sale. Talk about SCORE!!!
Ya, I like Kohl's. My biggest complaint is that it's hard to find shirts and pants long enough there. Some of the brands they carry drive me crazy. Not all of us come in a petite size. For that my friend - you are so lucky. I bet you find some awesome deals on clearance because when I look I usually only see stuff in short size, er I mean "petites".
What a special treat! Nothing like a mom of 4 getting to spoil herself for a change. How thoughtful of them and yay for you!
I love it...AWESOME. So great to have parents that get us. I'm so happy for you. Great job on your journey. I love hearing about it.
Thank you for the walk down root-beer-stand memory lane. :) Great post, Sheri. I love your writing.
That is wonderful Sheri! I am so proud of you! And isn't it wonderful to have parents that understand and know just what we need!
wait a stinkin mother minute! You had surgery? How in the world could I miss this on your blog (since we haven't seen each other in person in, um 15 years, yikes!) What the heck?! 62 pounds!!!! Congratulations! That's amazing!!!! It took me 16 months to lose that much. you're awesome!!! You've gotta post pictures! Seriously Cara and I always thought you were the prettiest girl at girl's camp...you need to be having more pictures of you during these mom years, you're beautiful!!!
Post a Comment