Spring was a little busy for us. We had to juggle our schedules quite a bit in order for me to coach track. Tracy has been a great help in this department. He got permission from work to go in early, so he could leave early. He would then meet me at track practice and pick up the kids. The good ol' swap-a-roo worked great, for the majority of the season, it was still too cold for the little two to be out running around for two hours. This is after all, Idaho. On the days we had meets, it was the same way, although I was gone until 9-10pm. It made for long evenings for Trace fixing dinner and putting the kids to bed, but he did it - with a smile on his face (most of the time).
On a particular track meet day, it was more crazy than usual, and I was running late (big surprise there). I found myself rushing to get to the bus on time. I grabbed Luke from his nap - and had planned to just throw him in the van. Of course, as I picked him up, I figured that was a no-go, as stuff was oozing out of his size 5 diaper from every direction you can imagine. I reacted quick enough. I ran downstairs, used half a pack of wipes before realizing that wasn't going to cut it. I threw him in the tub for a quick bath. Got him dressed and loaded in the van. As I was switching off, I told Trace what had happened. I also mentioned that I didn't have a chance to go back up to his room, but by the way the diaper was filled, I had a sneaking suspicion that there was quite a bit of aftermath from the before-mentioned explosion. He said he would check Luke's bed. We made the swap and I was on my way.
By the time I got home, the kids were asleep. I was exhausted. I went to each of their rooms and kissed them all goodnight. Then I crawled into bed myself. And as usual, morning came way too early for the likes of me. Luke greeted me on my side of the bed, with his smile and hug. I got up, getting the older two out the door for school, followed by my regular morning chaos of chores and messes. Nap-time couldn't come soon enough. As I brought Luke upstairs to tuck him into bed, I pulled back his covers and found this:
Yep, the aftermath. Now, just to clarify, the dark brown thing on the pillow is the tail of the dog. As it is a pillow pet of sorts. But the brown mess on the sheet? I almost puked. Luke hadn't had a stinky diaper all morning, which meant... Yes. Yes, he had slept all night in this.
There were drips. on. the. wall...how could you miss splatter of poo on the wall?!?
I called and asked Trace if he had checked Luke's bed before he had tucked Luke in. He told me that he had. I then texted him the pictures. And true, Trace did check - but he later admitted that it was when he had turned the lights out already. He didn't want to turn on the lights and get Luke all riled up. Riled up he was not. He slept like a baby...just not in the cleanest of beds.
Our poor kids. It'll be a miracle if they can survive us :)


No comments:
Post a Comment