Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bugsy Malone

When Aleana announced that she wanted to audition for the local school/community musical "Bugsy Malone", I wasn't surprised.

School plays are certainly not my thing.  I did one once, in the 8th grade.  I was a girl scout - and had one line.  The idea of having a part sounded great, but actually being in a play made me feel self-conscience and uncomfortable.  I didn't like the feeling of everyone watching me.  And oh, the thought of messing up?  The whole experience was too nerve-racking for me.

But Aleana?  She's not like that at all.  She just does her thing, and if she messes up, it's no big deal.  It doesn't mess with her head like it would for me.  She has a quiet confidence about her that I only wish I had at her age.

The part she tried out for, she didn't get.  But that didn't phase her.  She was given the part of the Loretta, a 20's dancer/dance line.  She had a few speaking lines, and several group musical/dance numbers.  

She started play practice in October.  Everyday after school for two hours.  For 4 1/2 months.

And this last weekend was the big production premier.  I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of work and talent in the production.  It was over two hours long, with several solos and groups songs.  Fun choreography.  The kids did a fantastic job.

But my Aleana?!  She was the best out of the whole lot.  (Yes - my unabashed mama bear pride is speaking here).  

She was awesome.  Every once in awhile, I had to choke back the emotions...she's just growing up so fast.  


So proud of you Aleana Mae!

1 comment:

lynnissa said...

and the prettiest too!