On Easter weekend, Tracy's family was having a little family reunion in Arizona. Originally we told them that we couldn't make it. After having moved and Tracy's job situation, we just thought we would not be able to afford this year. However, about 10 days before the reunion, being curious, I looked on Southwest and they were having a great deal. So we brought the tickets and got to make it down to the Valley of the Sun. It was a quick weekend trip, but it sure was nice to see everyone. The kids were playing with all their cousins (didn't see them for hours at a time), games were played, the swimming pool seemed like it was never empty, and movies were watched. In fact, with all the fun happening, we didn't get a whole lot of pictures. :(
My parents were able to make the drive from Winslow and we got to spend half a day with them. Mandy and Andy also came and brought their kids. We were going to do outside activities including an Easter egg hunt, but we had to pick the ONE day a year that it was raining. Grandma Buggy made it work with an Easter egg hunt inside the hotel room, and also treated the kids to a few presents like books and clothes. They LOVED it. I was able to have a fun visit with my parents and sisters. It was great to watch the little ones interact. I got to meet Leah (Mandy's little girl), who is just a few weeks younger than Hannah, and baby Riley (Andy's little girl).
Hannah loves giving kisses and Leah didn't seem to mind
Cute pic of Leah
Hannah had just started walking (at 14 months - she kind of took her time). The bruise on her forehead was one of many.
Aleana showing off the new outfit from Grandma
Trent couldn't wait to try this on. It is still his favorite shirt. Thanks Grandma.
Sadly the end part of the weekend came way too soon, and we found ourselves flying back. There was an unplanned delay in Las Vegas...for 2 2/1 hours. (Not so fun with a fussy toddler who's stroller was "accidentally" stored on the wrong part of the plane...thanks to the flight attendants - and was already transferred to another plane and en route to Boise). On the last leg of the flight (leaving a 9pm) which was 2 almost 3 hours long, Hannah had just had enough. She was fussy and cranky and wouldn't let her daddy hold her, which meant I got the lovely pleasure of being stuck with the fussy and cranky baby as well as all the glares coming my way from the grouchy passengers.
I finally got her to fall asleep in my arms (which never happens but was thankful she did). Then with about an hour left of the flight, she had a night terror. For those who's kids have night terrors, you can understand. Hannah gets them when she is behind on sleep. She "wakes up" but not really. She screams and screams at the top of her lungs, and is scared of something. But because she is actually still asleep and in her dream, you can't get her to snap out of it. (It's the freakiest thing. Her eyes are open and looking around, but no body's home) The best thing to do, it to just leave her alone and not touch her. However, because there were no empty seats, and we had "begun our decent", I couldn't put her anywhere, and I couldn't stand up and walk around with her. So she screamed, and fought me, and screamed and squirmed trying to "get away" from whatever was scaring her in her dream. The other passengers, who were mostly sleeping began to turn their lights on, and groan, and the dirty looks started coming my way. I tried my hardest to wake her up, and then sang to her - trying to reach her somewhere in that dream. Nothing worked. She screamed the rest of the way. I was exhausted from holding a child that was fighting me full strength and I literally was in tears (all though I tried to hide it by burying my face in her blanket). Some people got more irate, and then others...those who were mothers and grandmothers started giving me looks of sympathy. The plane landed, and you would think she would stop. Nope. She screamed while all the passengers unloaded, while we got off, and while we got our luggage. She finally stopped, when we went outside. The cool air got her to snap out of it. Sigh. Then she was a happy baby, liked nothing ever happened on the whole drive home from the airport.
Ahhh, but I know the truth. And I will think twice before I fly again, especially on those late night flights. And even though my kids are having fun...they will go to sleep and get good rest on the night before we fly back, so help me. :)
2 comments:
I have so much sympathy for you as I too have been the mommy with the screaming baby and nothing to do about it. It is one of the worst situations to be in. I hate it. I have now decided even though it's not as fast I prefer to drive with my kids- it's SO much less stressful. Glad you had a fun trip!
Oh man, your plane trip does not sound fun!! I have been there too, sorry it was so frustrating. I am glad you had fun in Phx though, and got to see some family!!
Post a Comment