Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My feelings on it all...

As we all know, President Obama was re-elected yesterday.

Disappointed? Yes.

Surprised? Not really.

Am I scared?

In a short answer, yes. But in all honesty, I think I would feel a little fear either way...

I have to ask myself, can one man make enough of a positive difference in a society where the cultural and social norms are declining? Where the change that is chanted is questionable?  No.  Certainly not when there is unwillingness in the masses.

I strongly believe one can't legislate morality. That is something society as a whole dictates everyday.

One can't force charity. The idea of helping the less fortunate needs to come from the hearts of men. It can't be determined from the laws of a government.  specifically if it is the same governing body that is riddled with corruption by the very power of the people that give it breath. What can occur by trying to force good-will however, is an increase of greed and an enabling of self-entitlement.

Then begs the question: can one man cause a nation to fall/fail? No, not one man.  Not in this case anyway.

The determining factor of whether this republic nation thrives or fails is up to its people.

And there you have it: The root of my fear.

As of today, I admit, the outlook seems dismal and bleak. The "people" have spoken. I feel a little of my hope being stamped out.

How do I ensure that my children will be able to enjoy the same freedoms that I have?

I feel powerless.


So what next?


While those feelings are very real and natural, I think I can do better. I remember reading an interview from a Holocaust survivor. While I can't recall his statement word for word, the jest of it still hits home. When asked how he managed to survive in such dire circumstances for so long, he simply answered by saying, "Hope". Hitler could take away their homes, their livelihood, their food, the clothes off their back, their children, and ultimately their lives. But he could not take away their hope, for it lived in a place that cannot be reached without invitation.

That statement rang true to me the first time I read it. I have reflected over those words throughout my life thus far. No matter the circumstances, I can have hope. And it can't be taken from me without my permission.

I decide to have hope.

One of great things about a poem is that it can describe one's emotions with less words (well in this case anyway). And since I have a tendency to be full of opinionated words, I will end with this poem to convey what kind of hope I intend to have and to instill in my children.

"Two Frogs"

Two frogs fell into a deep cream bowl,
One was an optimistic soul;
But the other took a gloomy view,
"I shall drown", he cried, "and so will you."

So with a last despairing cry,
He closed his eyes and said "Good-bye."
But the other frog with a merry grin
Said, "I can't get out, but I won't give in!

I'll swim around till my strength is spent.
For having tried, I'll die content."
Bravely he swam until it would seem
His struggles began to churn the cream.

On top of the butter at last he stopped
And out of the butter he happily hopped.
What is the moral? It's easily found.
If you can't get out - keep swimming around.


Not sure if I will hop (hope) out of the bowl of butter, but I will keep swimming. I will keep hoping (hopping?) for the things that are good.  For the sake of my children.  And my sanity :)

No comments: