Friday, December 14, 2012

Santa delivers laughs via MHFD

The Mountain Home Fire Department does this awesome thing every year.  When Santa is too busy readying his sleigh, they take on the responsibility of delivering Santa's letters to all the good little boys and girls that have taken time to write him.  Hannah did just that in preschool a few weeks ago.  Her letter was delivered to the fire department.

Well, last night they came to our house.  I saw the flashing lights from the firetruck through our front window, and it took me a few seconds to connect the dots.  I jumped up and and opened the door, while telling Hannah that someone was here for her.  Trail's a blazin', she made it to the door.  And then came to a dead stop.  Once she saw the firemen and flashing lights, she took a b-line the OTHER way.

I excused myself, and had to hunt her down.  I found her in the linen closet with eyes wide, almost in tears, saying "But I didn't do it!  I didn't do AN-Y-THING!"

Trying to compose myself and not die of laughter, I explained to her that they were here to give her something, not take her away (I am saying this as Trent tells her "They are not the police.  They don't take you away - they save you"...What exactly have  I been teaching my kids?!).

It took a bit of convincing, but she finally made her way out and greeted the nice firemen.  Her expression was priceless.  They handed her the letter and explained how busy Santa was. She drank it all in with the magic that is St. Nick.


They made her night.

And my night too.  I sure love this firecracker of a kid!




No comments: