Others, who have never had to deal with it, think this is the definition of bed rest:
Unfortunately...this is what bed rest really looks like:
Hey - at least they are clean...well most of them anyway...
I think.
Then there's this:
A 2 yr old's attempt to make his own "toast" - of course it was closely supervised by the 4 yr old. They said they were hungry.
As I was sitting on the couch, little Miss Hannah walked up to me. She had a very serious, yet gentle look on her face. She softly said "Mom, I know you need your rest and that you have to sit here for the baby in your belly (long pause)...But I REALLY need you to get off the couch and make me some breakfast. Because I'm hungry". (Her dad was in the kitchen by the way. Bed rest or not, Mom is mom and it doesn't matter what else is going on).
Sigh.
On one side, the younger two kids are having a hard time understanding why mom has to "take it easy". They are having to be more patient. (Which really turns them into being even more demanding and persistent little creatures). On the other side, they have figured some things out rather quickly - like the fact that mom can't easily enforce some of the rules.
The older two kids are struggling in their own right. Trent is falling behind in his school work. This week has been a little much and unfortunately we haven't had the time to sit down with him and make him focus on his homework. Homework time is always such a process with him - so when something happens that is out of the norm, then his work usually suffers. We get to meet with his teacher either today or tomorrow. He has however, been really helpful with picking up after the little two.
Aleana has had to pick up the slack a little bit as well. We have had to lean on her for babysitting so Trace can take me to dr appts and get me taken care of. She is so good at it. I am proud of her, but it also makes me sad. I know kids have to learn how to pull their weight in life and step up when there is a need. But she needs to be kid for little while longer. I need her to be a kid for just a little while longer.
It's been challenging for all of us.
Because we don't have family nearby, we have had to lean on friends. It's always surprising and humbling to be on the receiving end of service and love that others willingly and unselfishly give in a time of need.
Then, just when I start feeling sorry for myself, a friend just happens to stop by to drop off a hazelnut steamer from Moxie Java. Talk about brightening a day!
How can I feel sorry for myself, when we are being taken care of so well?
True, this might not be the most ideal situation. But then again, when does life ever give you "ideal"? I have an awesome husband and amazing kids. I have great friends. And all are willing to pick me up.
The reality of all of this is that I am truly blessed.




No comments:
Post a Comment